keen on quinoa
The inspired recipe actually came from the back of a package of Nature’s Earthly Choice tricolor quinoa. I’ve learned not to ignore those recipes, sometimes you find a hidden gem. The first time I made this recipe there were so many things that went wrong that I literally had to throw out the batch. After making it the second time around, with a few tweaks to both the ingredients and the instructions, it came out perfect. This is my modified version and it’s seriously delicious!
1 cup quinoa
2 cups of water
½ cup sliced almonds
¼ cup dried cranberries
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp salt
1. Bring the water to a boil and add the salt, cinnamon, and quinoa.
2. At medium heat let the quinoa cook and soak in all the water (about 20 minutes).
3. Add the cranberries and bring it down to a simmer.
4. While that’s on simmer get a sauté pan and on medium heat toast the sliced almonds until golden then add to quinoa. Mix so it’s incorporated into the mix.
5. Remove from the heat and allow it sit for 5 minutes and serve.
lunch is served
This recipe yields about 5 servings. Since it’s a side item I wanted to show you how I would put it together in a meal. I had this for lunch; it’s grilled chicken I cubed and stirred fried into the quinoa and accompanied it with a side salad (with cherry tomatoes and avocado) and grilled asparagus.