treats make great gifts
For the past few years I’ve made Dave’s parents a dessert for Christmas. I was inspired by the Meltaway Brownie Bites Recipe from Hershey’s Kitchens but decided to make the brownie with black beans instead. I’ve seen many recipes for black bean brownie and wanted to try it myself. Treats really do make great gifts; it’s a labor of love, everyone loves sweets and it gives me an excuse to make naughty things (don’t forget it’s always good to taste your creations!).
black bean brownie ingredients
1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 tbsp of coconut oil
⅔ cup brown sugar sweetener
½ cup cocoa powder
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp baking powder
⅛ tsp salt
Hershey’s Kiss, flavor of choice
candy cane, crushed
1. Remove wrappers from Hershey’s Kiss chocolates and place in freezer while you bake the brownie.
2. Place beans, chocolate chips and oil in a food processor and grind until blended.
3. Add eggs, brown sugar, cocoa, vanilla, baking powder, and salt and process until smooth.
4. Pre-heat oven to 350. Line small muffin cups with baking cups and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray and add batter so that it’s about ¾ filled (it won’t rise as much as if flour was used).
5. Bake for 13 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes on wire rack.
6. Dust with powdered sugar and crushed candy cane. Press frozen chocolate piece into the surface of each cupcake. I had to use a lighter to melt the bottom of the kiss so it can stay put. The fact that it was in the freezer allowed me to handle the kisses while I did this, avoiding the pointy side from melting from my body heat.
looks are deceiving
This was my first time making the black bean brownie and I thought it came out pretty good. If you have a real craving for brownies this probably won’t satisfy it. It doesn’t contain any kind of flour and although it does have baking powder it doesn’t rise much; it’s not really fudgy but more of a thick cake consistency. The black beans can be a turn off for some but trust me, you can’t taste the beans at all. As you can see, it looks just like a regular brownie!